Sunday, April 8, 2018

Simplicity

So what is your thing? In what ways do you resist the whole being that you are? I read a book by Stephanie Vogt in early January that started with this question and it really provoked my thinking. 


Simplicity. Reducing my life, my worries, my joys, my stresses. Deliberately searching for and gaining simplicity over the good and the bad. That, I decided after reading this book, was my one word goal for 2018.



After 3 months I’ve learned that simplicity is a great target, but to live in simplicity requires great organisation. It is quite complex to commit to a life of simplicity.


I started in mid January by actively and deliberately  reducing and getting rid of clutter around me physically. I moved to Christchurch two years ago and there were still unpacked containers of things at the top of my kitchen cupboards.

I spent 7 days clearing my house, something I thought would take two days maximum. The height of my personal mirth was reached clearing out a container of Maggi soup and gravy mixes. Not one had expired less than 5 years ago yet I’d moved them all with me. The oldest expired in 2002. I calculated I had moved at least 5 times since then, taking that gravy mix with me each time.

For those that know me domesticity is not my key strength or interest. However I acknowledged to myself that to live as simply as possible I needed to get organised.

With a renewed commitment to healthy living after major health incidents last year, and a commitment to walking in the morning and  aqua jogging after work I needed to get food organised. Otherwise it  would be all too easy to fall back into a  takeaways unhealthy eating track. 

I found a smoothie recipe that worked for me and decided I would spend every second  Sunday morning making and freezing smoothies for the next  fortnight. That was breakfast taken  care of.



I spend some time every Sunday buying fruits and vegetables and chopping and slicing them up and putting them into containers in the fridge for very easy lunch and dinner creation. 

I committed to myself that my computer would only come  home with me at the weekends. 
The fact I’m not working in the evenings frees my time and brain for other things. For reading, for thinking, for looking after myself. 

My house stays much tidier because I don’t default to working in the evening. My washing stays done instead of waiting to the weekends. My bed gets changed every week and remade on the same day! And this organisation all keeps my life simpler.

After 3 months I don’t get to the pool every day but I’m still getting there at least 3 times a week.  I’ve probably taken my computer home 4 or 5 nights over the term during week days, but I also acknowledge I’m generally much more effective and efficient at work if I don’t take it home and give myself a real break. And it’s all my choice. If I take my computer home to do something it’s me that’s putting that pressure on myself, no one else. Living simply also means taking true responsibility for the choices you make and what is driving them.

I’ve read more fiction this term than I can remember doing for a while.

My health, and fitness, is improving weekly. 

I’ve ended up having to be away a lot. At one stage in the term I was away for 5 weekends in a row. But each time my bag was unpacked immediately the washing done and away, and I’ve actually learnt that made moving through the next week and packing again very simple. 



I’ve learnt that being organised allows me to live simply.

I’ve had a number of one word goals over the years to varied success. Simplicity is definitely doing it for me in 2018.

Clearing is not a finite task that you put on a to-do list and complete by a certain deadline. It is an ongoing and revealing journey of self-discovery that starts where you are.
Stephanie Vogt

3 comments:

  1. Love this Karyn! Its sooo funny how we often share similar ideas at similar times. I can't wait to catch up with you again. You know it would be amazing to have a reunion form the TKAS crew. Cleo and I have committed towards simplifying our life... even exporing how we can free ourselves up from the ever burdening mortgage...(watch this space...)Fitness is a real focus along with doing more for ourselves. (particularly te reo and voyaging for me...) Kia Kaha Karyn (not so much KKK but K^3).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ngā mihi, Karyn!
    I can see how SIMPLICITY has changed your life for the better. Inspiring to read this - particularly about leaving the laptop at school! Kia kaha tonu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to be an inspiration. So glad that you are eating healthily. I too am trying to downgrade all of the 'everything else' that really isn't that important when you stand back and look at your life. Yesterday Donna and I made a pact that if I go sup paddle boarding, she will come along, kayaking :) It's our goal for next spring. Good luck with your journey. Think the kids telling me Waiarani and I were too old to go on the canyon swing!!! made me decide I need to do something :)

    ReplyDelete